Monday, January 24, 2011

Baby Steps

I'm just going to jump right into it.

Things I changed:

Cut back on the alcohol. I did as I planned as only have a drink once during the week and one the weekend.

Strength Training? I put a question mark because I didn't have a full 20-30 minute chunk of non-stop working out. I did squats, walking lunches and the resistance band when I could for short increments. It's not much but it's more than I was doing before.

Issues:

Working out first thing in the morning. I was able to do it for two weeks a few months ago and ever since I didn't think it would be so hard to start up again. I just can not find the energy to get up and do it. I'm not sure how to tweak this plan because working out at home after work is the last thing I want to do- I want to come home and spend time with my family. I may need to just suck it up and work out after work- I mean I know it's only 20-30 minutes but still.

I had two slices of cheesecake this weekend. I should have only had one if any. They were small but still pack a lot of calories and fat.

Not enough water. We have a FREE fountain soda machine at work. It's tough to pass that up! I originally planned to alternate diet soda and water through out the day but I have been so busy I haven't stuck to it.

Major Issues:

I am EXHAUSTED. I feel tired all the time. and not just a little tired, but the kind of tired where you feel so heavy you can't move, your head hurts, every movement feels like it's taking everything out of you. It's one of the worst feelings. It's also one of the reasons I have trouble working out in the morning. I know how hard it will be to move my muscles and how stiff they will be. It takes me at least an hour and a 1/2 to fully wake up. I really don't get it. I have a flex schedule so I don't have to be at work super early. I get decent nights sleep. Especially this week because I pretty much cut out alcohol and ate better. My husband lets me sleep in on the weekend and doesn't fuss when I fall asleep/tell him I need a nap. So I really don't get why I am THIS tired. I mean I know there are woman who work harder, and get less sleep that are able to get by better than I am. If you have figured out the secret to more energy- please share it with me!

I am also over working myself. It's been tougher than I thought to have work life balance. The way things are currently a 40 hour work week might as well be considered part-time. I actually feel guilty on those rare days I can leave the office after a mere 8 hours. I just get on a roll at work and don't want to stop (especially since it takes so long to get going in the AM). I always need to stay at work just "one more hour." Then go home and need to "finish some things up" for another 2-4 hours. I work 10 minutes from home there is no reason I should be walking in the door at 9:30 at night. FFS I have even thought to myself "If I could just work till midnight every night this week it would take a huge load off." It's just too much.

Things to improve this week:

MORE WATER!!!

Block off time to work out for 20-30 minutes straight at least once a day five times this week.

Cut back on the work load. Try to leave work at 6:30pm at the latest!

Here's to taking baby steps that eventually turn into major progress!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck on those goals. Is the soda you get with caffeine? That could be why you are more tired in the morning and it takes a while to get going. I use to notice that when I drank more soda. You become dependent on that giving you all the energy. Definitely try to cut down on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed a huge energy difference after two or three weeks of taking my multivitamins. Also I would agree with too much work. I used to be a huge workaholic myself and I could never leave the job at work no matter how long I was there so that will definitely exhaust you.
    I just want to say that I am glad that I am not the only one struggling with eating healthy and working out. I am sending you good vibes and good luck! Keep pushing and you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sucked it up after almost 2 years and FINALLY started going to the gym after work. It sucks but mornings are simply not an option for me 'cause I just can't do it. I set my goal at 2x per week so I don't burn out and have left it at that. So far so good. If you have a flex schedule might it be easier for you to go into work early and then get off early so the gym won't take up such a chunk of your time? Waking up earlier to go to work might be better then waking up early to go to work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i got up and worked out before work this morning...begrudgingly, but i did it. how about you? i feel like we should hold each other accountable for this. my dogs definitely help the process, because as soon as the alarm goes off, the only thing on their minds is food. the younger of the two is relentless until he's fed.

    a lot of why you are feeling so tired is likely because of your lack of hydration, especially if you're getting good sleep. keep at it! i know it's tough, but it's so worth it for the return you get, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ladies! I will finally surrender to less caffeine and more water!!!

    Lo I would love for us to work together and hold each other accountable! I NEED a buddy to motivate me in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you are already working so many hours in the day, have you ever thought about taking a longer lunch break and working out then? I know my sister does that and it works great for her. She's a working mom and she struggles with waking up early in the morning and wanting to get straight home to spend time with her family. Good luck, Holland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw thanks Amy! Unfortunately I don't get much of a lunch break, I usually work straight through. I have thought about forcing myself to take one though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! I found your link through Blair's blog! I feel you about working so much and not having time to workout. I don't have a full time job, but I go to school which makes it as hard, I think. Honestly, I could have written everything about being exhausted myself. Good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete