Monday, February 7, 2011

I Surrender

Alright everyone I FINALLY surrender.

I have officially cut back on diet soda. I know that this piece of advice has been around for many many years but I just couldn't take it seriously. I always thought I got a decent amount of water, that because the soda I was drink had no calories that it was basically the same thing, and because hearing "drink more water" made me angry.

It probably started when I got pregnant and every time I would call my doctor with an issue and I'd get " drink more water." I HATED IT. My belly button felt like it was going to pop off of my body and I was told drinking water will help it? Well much to my twisted satisfaction a whole day of non stop drinking (which resulted in A LOT of peeing) and my belly button still felt like it was going to pop off. Turns out it was growing pains and I just had to deal with it... and make sure I drink enough water.

So anyways, that's how my "thing" with water started. I suppose I felt the need to prove to everyone that drinking more water is NOT the answer. I would think to myself oh I drink enough water, I don’t need to cut back on soda lalalala I'M NOT LISTENING TO YOUR ADVICE. Not to mention my work has a FREE fountain soda machine. FREE. I can have as many sodas as I want and spend NOTHING. It felt wrong NOT to take advantage (admittedly it still does).

In my desperation to find more energy I decided to give in. Like, REALLY give in this time. There are many different suggestions on how much water you should drink, I go with 1/2 of your weight in oz. I need 60 oz of water a day, and round it up to 64 because I drink out of 16 oz cups. I allowed myself one soda a day after I had consumed at least 1/2 of my daily intake. Usually I didn't even finish the soda; but it was nice to still have the option. It's a hell of a cut back considering what I was drinking before which was equal to what my water intake should be.

What a difference I saw. I DID have more energy. The headaches I usually get? Not as bad. I felt less bloated and even had less trouble waking up in the morning. So looks like I would have saved myself a lot of time and trouble if I would have just given in the the world's simplest piece of advice "drink more water"

Let's recap this week, the good:

More water

Real strength training workouts using my resistance bands and 4lb weights, doing squats and lunges and stretching

No weight gain

Feeling less tired

The bad:

Awful diet. JUST AWFUL. I had a HUGE craving for carbs this week and couldn't get enough of them. The bads ones. I really need to be more diligent about making a meal plan and preparing it over the weekend because during the week I am ALWAYS strapped for time and end up grabbing what's easiest or waiting to buy lunch at work- which costs more and I always choose something that isn't healthy.

Still no cardio. I have no excuse. Actually I have a ton... but I'm sure you're tired of hearing them :)

How did you do this week? Did you finally give in to a piece of advice you have been trying to avoid?

*****Also early morning worker-outers PLEASE comment- I'd like to discuss morning motivation with you****

5 comments:

  1. congrats on kicking the soda habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kicking the diet soda habit as well. I did horribly this past week, but I am really focusing on the water too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. That would mean like, 105 ounces of water per day for me. ::dead::

    That's more than I was drinking when I was pregnant! (which, by the way, totally agree because they always tell you that during pregnancy & it's annoying as hell)

    I'm not an early-morning exerciser, although I wish I could. I just can't see myself getting up at 5am to work out & risk waking Harrison that early & then hop in the shower & be out the door by 6:45am. I don't know how to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The morning working out thing. You just have to do it. After 2 weeks or so getting up early is easier and you have more energy the rest of the day so it makes working out easier too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been a night person, I hate getting up in the morning. That being said, I like to work out in the morning. I find that if I don't, I never get around to it. My motivation. I look at pictures of woman to have the body I want. When I see that it nags me until I get up and do it and I have fallen in love with the work out itself. The time alone and stress relief has been worth it in itself but I also have lost like two inches on my waist and I can see the muscle contours in my arms again! YAY! :) But I hear ya about the bad carbs. that's my big weakness too.

    ReplyDelete