Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The cold hard truth. Thank you, Dr. Seuss.

There are many many quotes from Dr. Seuss books that can be used to relate to real, adult life. One of his most famous books " Oh, The places you'll go!" is one "quote" in itself. It talks about the highs and lows of life- the book tells you like it is.

One part in particular really got to me:

"I'm afraid that some times
you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win
'cause you'll play against you."

I am my own worst critic and I break myself down. I am my own worst disappointment and the biggest mistake I've ever made. These are my lonely games, the games I play in my head, when I'm thinking of what I should have done, how I should have done it and why. When I am beating myself up until I am raw and just cry. I'm not easy to please, especially when you are me. I put the bar way to high where I know I can't reach it, and then watch in disgust as I try and fail and end up defeated. It's a sick game I'm sure many of us play and I'm never going to get anywhere if I continue to play this way.

"All Alone!
Whether you like it or not,
Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot.
And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon,
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on. "

This. Exactly this. I wasn't sure where I was going to go with this because I just feel like this explains how I have felt, what I have gone through and what I still deal with. I have tried to write and expand on this quote and I just find it hard. I have surrounded myself with amazing people, and appreciate them more then they will ever know. But at the end of the day it's just me that I'm with, I know what I'm living more than anyone else, it's me, just me, all on my own. I've been that frightened, and had that paralyzing fear. I've wanted to yell "STOP" and just take a rest, I couldn't keep up with life, I just couldn't catch my breath.

"But on you will go
though the weather be foul.
On you will go
though your enemies prowl...
Onward up many a frightening creek,
though your arms may get sore
and your sneakers may leak.
On and on you will hike
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are."

And on I did go, and still do everyday.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Holls.... I feel the same way so much of the time, especially lately. Just know that you aren't alone in "marching on". Just remember to follow your feet... love for you. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete