Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Swimsuit Debate

Mothers of little girls have some added pressure during the summer months. Bikini or no bikini? This summer in particular (OK it's only the second summer of me being a mom but still) I have noticed an abundance of bikinis for little girls and not much to choose from when it comes to one pieces.

Last year I was die hard and kept to my one-piece promise without hesitation. This year tempation of cute ruffled bikinis has filled my mind more than I care to think about.

"Should I just do it? So many other moms do it, it's OK right?" Then the voice of reason comes through " Bikinis are supposed to be "sexy", do you really want your baby in something "sexy?"

No, no I do not. Saying sexy and my daughter in the same sentence makes me a little queasy. My daughter is a baby girl and will be dressed as such. If this means I have to go through the entire summer with only two bathing suits for her so be it. I'd rather have a less than stellar collection of swimwear than be panic stricken at the beach wondering what perv is checking out my kid in a bikini.

So for this chick- no bikinis. I'm not sure when I will feel comfortable with her wearing one (maybe never?) but as long as I am picking out her bathing suit, I'll be looking in the one-piece section.

6 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about this. I don't get it. AT. ALL. Little girls in frilly little bikinis??? It just screams way too young to be wearing something meant to be sexy.
    The only reason I see it being easier for little girls is the whole having to use the bathroom thing. They do not need to remove their entire bathing suit to go to the restroom, which might make some kids feel uncomfortable especially as they are getting into their pre-teens/teens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get the bathroom thing, and have heard it can be more convenient with a two-piece. When she is older I'm sure we'll figure out a way to keep her in something age appropriate yet let her feel comfortable using the restroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only thing I'd say is that when I see a baby in a bikini there is no sexualized connotation about it b/c....it's a baby. I think i'd feel more uncomfortable about an older little girl of 8-10 or so in a bikini then a baby. Mama always gets final say!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm... being a mother of two boys I haven't had to give the bathing suit debate much thought. My initial instinct would be to put the little babes in one piece bathing suits. After thinking through it though, I see both sides. No, of course you wouldn't want to put your daughter in something sexy but I think you can buy cute bikinis that are tasteful and more age appropriate for a 1 year old. If you feel like you would be most comfortable with her wearing a one-piece, then do that. But I don't think it makes you a bad mom if you put your baby in a tasteful two-piece. What does your hubby think? I'm pretty sure mine would be against the two-piece :/ Good luck. You're a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely see what you all are saying. A one-piece is the right decision for me and my daughter but I don't think moms who chose differently are "bad" moms. Two-pieces definitely have more convenience, but it just doesn't feel right to me.

    ReplyDelete