Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Can Ambition Be A Bad Thing?

Ambition often has a positive association to it.

Being ambitious is a GOOD thing. In order to be something great you NEED ambition.

However, can being TOO ambitious be dangerous? Can it cause you to lose sight of reality and what's practical?

I have extremely high expectations for myself in my career. I want to be extremely successful, I want to be the best. In order to do that I need to take big risks... and I am.

I am doing this for myself and doing this for my family. I could have a mediocre comfortable life in a cushy position, or I can have an extraordinary life in a position that makes me work for every cent, or I could fail miserably and lose it all.

I chose to go for the dream of working hard and living an extraordinary life. The problem with this is that choosing to do this means taking big risks that don't have immediate pay off. Choosing to do something that will be rewarding down the line, but not right away.

The problem with this is I have a family now. I have mouths to feed, people to clothe and put a roof over. I have responsibilities. I wasn't able to take the route of being successful first and having responsibility later. I have all of it at once.

Could my ambition for greatness hurt my family? Can you still chase risky dreams when you have people who depend on you?

I have found myself asking these questions lately. Am I being selfish trying to fulfill my own dream for myself and my family, when I could easily lower my standards and not have so much at stake?

There are big and amazing rewards to be had if I am successful, however there is that chance of falling hard on my face and failing miserably.

5 comments:

  1. you have your heart in the right place and your head in the game - stay as ambitious as you are! love you girlfraaaan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you don't try you will never know. Does your husband support your goals and dreams too? If he is on board I say go for it. You never want to have to wonder what could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep he def supports me- just letting off a little steam.I love my job, but it's tough and can be frustrating. It would be a dream come true if I was successful at this- I can't imagine feeling satisfied doing anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a mother and a working woman is not easy, i hear ya. Finding a balance has always been a challenge for me. I know that i had to drop a lot of expectations since my little one is born.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Finding balance is super hard! Still working on it :)

    ReplyDelete